It seems that our society has become numb to school shootings. We hear about the big ones like Santa Fe High School where eight students and two teachers were killed this past May. But did you know there were at least five other school shootings within just a number of weeks of that shooting?
Campus Safety Magazine did a roundup of these events, and it’s a powerful reminder that school shootings are happening way too frequently.
- Great Mills, MD – a 17-year-old shot two students (a 16-year-old who died and a 14-year-old who survived), with the shooter dying of a self-inflicted gunshot wound
- Ocala, FL – a 19-year-old shot one student (a 17-year-old who survived)
- Palmdale, CA – a 14-year-old shot one student (a 15-year-old who survived)
- Dixon, IL – a 19-year-old fired several rounds at a group of senior students (no students were hit or injured during the shooting)
- Noblesville, IN – a 13-year-old shot one student and one teacher (a 13-year-old who survived and a 29-year-old who survived)
These events all happened within a two-month time period; that’s less than ten weeks! And most likely you only heard about the Santa Fe incident where eight students and two teachers were killed. We are too inured to these events.
According to Campus Safety Magazine, school resource officers (SROs), teachers, and students all did a good job at each of these locations of mitigating the number of people shot because they had been trained on what to do during an active shooter event. Active shooter drills are so important to keep faculty, staff, and students safe in the education environment. But don’t forget about all the levels of security that can be implemented before a shooter would have access to students – perimeter fences and gates, exterior cameras, closed and locked exterior doors, robust visitor management including video intercom for building access, interior cameras, interior door card access, and training of faculty and staff on how to look out for suspicious and unusual activity by their students. We mourn the loss of children and teachers killed while at school, and we hope that all schools will implement security measure to keep their people safe.